Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Paper Bow Tutorial


Today I want to show you this really awesome new idea that has been very popular in the scrapbook community.

Scrapbook paper bows! You could also make these out of vintage sheet music, or any other double sided paper.






Start with a piece of paper big enough to cut (8) 1 x 6 strips of paper

(4) 1 x 5 strips of paper and (1) 1 x 4 strip of paper.

I use a 12 x 12 sheet of paper and it takes a little over half the sheet.

I recommend double sided paper for this project.




Here is what you are doing with the strips. Bending them down and gluing them.



First take a 1 x 6 strip of paper



Bend down like this




curl the paper sideways,




add glue just along the bottom and hold till dry.





Continue doing this to all (8) 1 x 6 strips and the (4) 1 x 5 strips. So that they look like this.





Take your 1 x 4 strip and glue the ends together.




Punch holes at the bottom of all pieces. I used a 1/8 inch hole punch but you could use a bigger one.




Take three small brads (if using larger hole punch use bigger brads) and take 4 pieces of your bow and push your brad through.

After you have 4 pieces on your brad, fold down and that way you are able to move your loops around to get them shaped the way you want.

Do this with your other (4) 1 x 6 strips and then with your (4) 1 x 5 strips.





Layer the 2 bigger pieces on top of each other.
Then layer the smaller one on top.

Glue your loop to the top and you're done!



I am showing you again in this pink paper.
Now it is up to you if you decide to flip the strips over to create different looks. I did in the bow above but this pink one will all be with the pink side up.



Here is a close up of how it looks as I am pushing my loops on to my brad.




Here are all the pieces before I started assembling them.






As I layer the pieces together I can move them around to get them to positioned just right.





And here is how they look when they are done.

I recommend using double stick tape for this so that you don't have to hold each loop as they dry.

I hope you enjoy this cool idea! It is a great way to personalize your packages!





Since this is still Barbie Wednesday, I wanted to share this photo I found on a Photography site. I could not find any info on this picture but I love it!!!!! It is probably from 1962 or 1963.



Have a great day!


28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry christmas, girls! What a great and detailed tutorial! Thank you! These bows are adorable and the papers are so cute on both sides.

I don't know why but you're not showing up on my reader this morning! Hopefully others aren't having this problem, too! Also, the barbie pic is not showing up. I'll try again later. ♥

parasols and maryjanes said...

What a nice-very complete tutorial. Thanks for sharing - nice new twist to use our double sided scrapbook paper.
Elizabeth

Linda K. said...

Very crafty! Looks fairly easy ladies, you make it look easy! Have to try making these. Your tutorials are user friendly, easy to follow. Thanks for showing.
Blessings,
Linda

Lisa said...

WOW! I thought oh that's too much to make a bow! But you gave awesome instructions! I wish I was at home to make one!! Who i sthe maker of your paper? I love the one with the music on one side! I bought several Christmas ones printed on both sides at AC Moore bout did not see that one!
Hugs, Lisa
ps my computer will not load Barbie to see!:(

Kathy said...

WHEN I SAW THAT CUTE LITTLE BOW I THOUGHT, OH HOW CUTE,THEN, THERE'S NO WAY I CAN MAKE THAT. BUT YOUR TUTORIAL WAS SO EASY TO FOLLOW THAT I HONESTLY THINK I CAN MAKE ONE. THANK YOU SO MUCH LINDSEY,
I ALSO THOUGHT TWYLA'S LITTLE MILK JUG WAS JUST TO CUTE. PLEASE LADIES KEEP IT UP.
MAY YOU BOTH HAVE A BLESSED DAY.

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Another great idea!

Victoria xx

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea. I think some vintage sheet music or if you could find some old love letters would look sensational!!
Great post!!
Happy Holidays!
Love,
Marilyn

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Merry Christmas Ladies.
You have made my day. I love this idea, and I am going to start making bows. I would like to make a bow for each of my family members this year on at least one of their gifts. Something I hope they will keep. How fun is this. Thank you for sharing this beautiful craft with me this morning.

Stop by and see what I have been making at night. I have one posted today. I love them, and you being crafters will love then too.

Country hugs...Sherry

Lindsay-ann said...

The bows are so pretty and the bottle idea too from yesterday. Thanks for the instructions. I am definately going to make some.
Lindsay
x

Becca said...

I can't wait to try this!

Hugs said...

What a great tut! I love the 2 sided colored papers you used.

Kimbles said...

I have just found your blog through the lovely Sue (Mrs Twins) and really love the cute bow tutorial - I shall give it a try - and follow along with you if I may!

{oc cottage} said...

Sooooooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!


m ^..^

★Carol★ said...

Great tutorial! I don't think I'll have any problem making these. I love that first paper that you used! I've never seen double-sided paper before, and will have to search for some!
Have a great day!
Carol

Anonymous said...

Okay- you're showing up on my reader now but not Barbie! :(

Brynwood Needleworks said...

You girls are just so clever! I don't see the Barbie photo either, sweets.

My Birthday giveaway is tomorrow - and I don't want you to miss it, so I'm telling you ahead of time! ;-)

Hugs,
Donna

Kelly said...

They look great!
I'll have to have a go!
Perfect to make sure the bows go with the presents perfectly!!!
Thanks for the tutorial :)

Unknown said...

You two are over the top, both smarty pants. This I'm going to try! Happy crafting you two crazy girls!

Sparky said...

Hello Twyla and Lindsey, I love what you are doing and so will many of my visitors...I will most certainly add you to my blog list...
love the bow...some great ideas here for dolls too..
blessings madame samm'
http://sewdollswhosnext.blogspot.com

Melinda said...

Love the bows but can't get the other picture. Not sure why?

Melinda

Miss Rhea said...

Cute !! Thanks for Sharing !! :)

Elyse said...

wow -- that is very cool and you have laid-out the instructions so nicely that even i understand! lovely.

the barbie image isn't showing up for me. :( happy BW anyway!

xo

NikonSniper said...

love this idea with the music / hymn book carols. there has to be tons of spinoffs like a wreath in christmas carols, red & green & gold.
nikonsniper steve

Heidi Ann said...

Oh, thank you for the bow tutorial! Maybe I will even try to attempt that "some day" because they sure are pretty!

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Thanks so much for the detailed tutorial! I used to make ribbons on a small ribbon wheel but it's been years. This would be another great way to make the trims that are so lovely and useable! Thanks so much!!! Hugs, Coralie

Dogwood said...

Thanks. Great description and instructions and photos. You make it look so easy. I will give it a try!

Dixie Supler said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! What a great tutorial and so easy too, with your simple instructions and visual photos. It turned out so cute. I'm going to make more of these!!!!

Natalia L. said...

Wonderful tutorial.., now I need to find double sided paper..