Tuesday, January 6, 2009



Tribute to a friendship.


Saturday Lindsey and I went to one of our favorite flea markets. I was drawn to this sweet little poem picture in the quaint vintage frame. I thought it was a very sweet sentiment and I turned it over in my hands. On the back was the inscription: To Millie from Wilma Lee Jan 15 1944. That clenched it, for $4 this sweet little bit of history was mine.



I thought about the two ladies whose friendship was evident in this expression. Were they childhood friends who developed into adults together? Did they become acquainted because their kids played together? Maybe they became neighbors. Did they sew together? Talk over the back fence?



Just the fact that this little sentiment was in the flea market leads me to think that most likely Millie and Wilma Lee are no longer living. It would certainly be interesting to know more about these great friends and all the talks and fun they probably had.

I will do my part in preserving the memory of these two ladies who valued their friendship. I will display Millie’s plaque and remember the value of a true friend and think of the wonderful friendships that we are making through the wonderful world of blogging. Lindsey and I appreciate all who have been so kind to us.

We've added these two little vintage Valentine's to our give away. Just leave a comment between now and tomorrow night at midnight and you will be entered to win. Check out the last post to see what else the winner will receive!



One who sees you through and through,
Understands the things you do,
Keeps pullin’ just for you –
That’s a friend.
One who trusts you all the while
Grips your hand and shares a smile,
Bears no thought unless worth while –
That’s a friend!

Wishing you much happiness!


20 comments:

Pearl said...

Oh Twyla... I adore the sweet friendship message that you found... and I love how you're going to give it a new home of honor and respect... I bet Millie would be pleased. Sure do hope your Holidays were wonderful... I'm trying to get caught up, like always it seems! I hope 'n pray that this new year is kind to both of you dear ladies... Please stop by for a visit when you can... I have a few awards for you! God bless...

~hugs 'n prayers~

Pearl

Kathy said...

THANK YOU FOR SHARING ABOUT THE FRIENDSHIP POEM. HOW SWEET OF YOU TO RESCUE IT, A FRIENDSHIP ONCE FORGOTTEN WILL NOW LIVE ON THROUGH YOU. I DO THE SAME THING WITH OLD PANS AND BOWLS. IF I KNOW THE OWNER HAS PASSED AWAY I FIND SOMETHING OLD I LIKE AND COOK IN IT TO KEEP THEIR MEMORY ALIVE.

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Twyla
I think that little poem was just waiting for you to find it. It is so special. I am sure Millie and Wilma Lee will be happy that you found it and will treasure it as they did. Those valentine are lovely too. I hope your week is going well.
Best Wishes
Lindsay

Unknown said...

That is a sweet vintage sentiment! Doesn't it just make you wonder what Millie and Wilma were like? Maybe Mille really hated Wilma and Wilma was trying to butter her up after sleeping with Millie's husband, or maybe...well, we'll just leave it there, LOL! I really don't think that is what happened, but it sure is fun to think about all the different scenarios behind what their friendship was like. I'm sure it was very sweet! BTW, thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog! :)

Linda Lou said...

What a lovely find, and made me think of my friend Betsy who I have known for almost 26 years, I hope you son is doing better!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Twyla.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Millie and Wilma Lee! What sweet old names. Cant's you just see them in their aprons?

You're so sweet, Twyla!

Love the valentines!

Robyn said...

I don't blame you for snapping that up - what a lovely sentiment! Lucky you to be the new owner!
Have a wonderful day!
Looking forward to Barbie Wednesday!

Happy@Home said...

Wow, what a treasure you found and a great price too. I love everything about it and especially what is written on the back. How very sweet.

Hugs,
Kim

Stacey said...

Wouldn't it be neat if the family of Millie or Wilma Lee ever saw your blog? The poem is very sweet and it's really the friendship that only women can understand.

Gibson Russell said...

Very cool! I am glad you have rescued it and thank you for sharing!

KatCollects said...

What a fun and precious find. I would have brought it home too : ) I want to go shopping with you. I am so glad that you and I have become friends, you are a sweetie.
Hugs,
Kathy

Dawn said...

Oh. The handwriting on that friendship plaque is so whimsical and endearing! And the 1940's sentiment behind such words brings tears to my eyes.

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

My friend gave me something similar she picked up secretly without me knowing when we were at the Rose Bowl flea in LA.

Victoria x

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Twyla and Lindsey :)
That is a very sweet friendship poem !!Good questions about their time together...seems like us "gals" today don't have enough girl time...
Sweet Valentines...I'll talk to you later tonight..just visiting while making dinner.
Warmly,
Deb

Alexandra MacVean said...

Wow...that friendship message is a treasure! Thanks for sharing. I loved the little valentine cards, too.

Hope you're having a good week. :)

Sweet Sage said...

What a priceless treasure!
Thank you for sharing it .. such a sweet reminder!

Sherry said...

What a wonderful find!! I wonder too if they sat and embrodiery together or chatted over the fence. Great friends are a treasure and you are one of those great friends, especially to keep their friendship going on.

I've missed you!
Sherry

Michelle Palmer said...

Such a beautiful treasure...love all of your vintage cards & Valentines.
It's so wonderful that people before us cared enough to save special cards etc. ~ and that so many of us adore them once again, no matter who's name is on them...they become part of our memories!
Sweet, sweet~ Thanks for sharing!
Hope your New Year is off to a great start...
Michelle

Unknown said...

Twyla, The thing I most adore about vintage valentines are the signatures. Knowing that in the moment given one person had in mind the other. Your plaque is wonderful! Elizabeth