Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Twyla Tuesday


I wanted to tell you about my favorite Christmas present. I received it Christmas 2005. First I will fill you in on the backstory.

When I was a little girl I rode the school bus. There was a girl we picked up who one day got on carrying a Beatle lunch box. I was very shy, but my desire for that lunch box got the best of me so I asked her, ‘Can I have your lunch box?’ She said, ‘I’ll have to ask my mom.’ This went on every day for so long that I finally was too embarrassed to ask her anymore. I continued to watch her get on every day just so I could stare at it.




All those years, you’d think I would have run onto a Beatles lunch box somewhere, but I never spotted one.




We have a special ‘Christmas’ with my best friend, Susan every year. Christmas 2005 was just another fun evening my kids and I showering Susan with gifts. She doesn’t have a family so we like to let her have the joy of gifts and she is more like our family anyway. This year I had three presents from her. She told me I could pick any one of them to open first. I opened one and pulled out a little blue cap. I put my face in my hands and I bawled like a baby. I knew Exactly what was in the other two presents just from seeing that blue cap that was the top of the thermos. Susan and my two kids had gone together and found me a beautiful original Beatles lunch box with the thermos on ebay. I’ve told this story many times since and I still, yes, even now cannot tell it without crying. No present ever has or ever will mean as much to me as this gift that I waited 40 years to receive.

This year our presents are all wrapped and we are wrapped in the warm glow of Christmas. We have our ‘Christmas’ with Susan this Friday night.



The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other. – Burton Hillis

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas,



20 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a long time to wait to get a lunchbox! I'm so glad to hear your love ones were able to find you one. What a thoughtful gift! Thanks for sharing that cute story!

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

What a lovely story and so thoughful of your friend. Presents like those are the best presents.

Well done on getting all your wrapping done... I've managed 2 presents so far!!!

Good news... you have won my giveaway on my blog... drop me an email with your address and I'll get it in the post for you

Victoria xxx

Patty said...

It's so nice when someone takes the time to find you a present that means so much.

Michelle Palmer said...

I LOVE that you knew when you saw the little blue cap...
Even better~ that you have such a special heart in your friend Susan & your children!
Sweet Christmas memories...
Wishing you the best!
Michelle

Linda Lou said...

I wanted that Beatles lunchbox too! I am so happy that you finally received it from the most important people in your life...that is a gift to treasure...By the way, who was your favorite Beatle? Mine was and is still Paul!

Lindsay-ann said...

That's a wonderful story Twyla. I am sure the lunch box was well worth the long wait. How thoughtful of your friend to get that for you.
Did your snow arrive?
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Oh, Twyla! Thanks for telling the story! You're so special! ~ Hug ~
I got tears in my eyes, too! :>

Michele said...

Oh Twyla..I'm sittin here at work crying. What a sweet present and such a special friend!

Are you guys getting snow today...it just started at noon and we're supposed to have 3-5 inches.

Hugz and stay warm!
Michele

Stacey said...

What a neat story and a great friend!! Sometimes friends understand better than our family, right?

Merry Christmas!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Twyla,
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
How awesome your friendship is:) and what a perfect gift. Enjoy your Christmas on Friday.
It's snowing and the roads are bad. It's very pretty outside and I'll try to take some photos in the morning.I'm going to try to post tonight...darn computer just won't work yesterday either...
Take care.
Love,
Deb

Unknown said...

Aw how sweet. 40 years and you wre taken back to that school bus in an instant. What a nice family and best friend you have. A true gift in itself.
hugs,
Tammy

Happy@Home said...

What a sweet story and a very special friend you have there. I can't think of anyone more deserving than you, Twla dear.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Hugs,
Kim

Anonymous said...

I love that story. You know you have a very special friend when they know what you love and will go to any ends to find it for you. You're lucky to have that lunch box, and even luckier to have such a great friend.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

What a sweet story--and what a special friend! That really touched my heart.

God bless you all with special joys this Christmas.
Smiles, Karen

Chanda said...

That was a long wait, but It was a beautiful story with a happy ending. Hope you have a wonderful time and what your doing with Susan is what the love of Christmas is all about. God Bless you

Anonymous said...

Twyla, I laugh every time I think about you asking that girl, "Can I have your lunch box?" :> :> :>

KatCollects said...

What a great present and a special memory! I am so glad that you got your lunchbox : ) I hope you have a beautiful Christmas with your friends and family.
Hugs,
Kathy

Lisa & Alfie said...

Oh Twyla,
I know as I write this you are in the middle of a cozy evening celebrating Christmas with one of your best friends. One who would know your hearts desire and do her best to fulfill it. Wonderful story and wonderful friendship.
Lisa & Alfie

Sherry said...

Your story made me cry too! What a wonderful friend and kids you have!

Sherry

Anonymous said...

buy valium what is valium 5mg used for - buy 1000 valium online